MAN PULLS MONSTER TAPEWORM OUT OF RECTUM
I’m a sushi lover. Sushi is amazing. It tastes good. It can look amazing, even like art. If you live near a supply of fresh fish, all the better. Plus, it’s healthy to eat. But is sushi really healthy to eat? Most people who eat sushi seem to know not to have too much of it in their diet. Well, of any fish for that matter. That’s to avoid mercury poisoning. But did you know that eating sushi could also put you at risk of parasites? One man in California ate sushi and got a 5-and-a-half-foot long tapeworm.
THOUGHT IT WAS HIS INTESTINE HANGING OUT
The poor man in this story loves him some sushi. But he never imagined this was possible or that it would happen to him. He went to the bathroom, sick with diarrhea. That alone sounds horrible enough. But then he saw what looked like a piece of intestine, hanging out of his body. He grabbed it and proceeded to pull it out. But it wasn’t intestine, it was a 5-and-a-half-foot long tapeworm.
MAN TOOK MONSTER TO EMERGENCY ROOM LOOKING FOR HELP
A doctor on call at the emergency room where the man went recalled what happened. Dr. Kenny Bahn said he was skeptical at first. The man had come in and asked for treatment, specifically for tapeworms. But Bahn quickly realized this wasn’t just another case of inept self-diagnosis. He saw that the patient was holding a plastic bag in his hand. But it was what was in the bag that stunned Bahn briefly. The man had wrapped the tapeworm around a cardboard toilet paper tube and put that in the bag.
TAPEWORM WAS STILL MOVING AROUND
The stunned Bahn asked, “That came out of your bottom?” The man simply replied, “Yes.” The patient had been suffering from bloody diarrhea and abdominal cramping (think, almost six feet of worm). But then the man told him he simply pulled the worm out when he saw it hanging there. “He grabs it, and he pulls on it, and it keeps coming out,” Bahn remembered. But then the man held it in front of him and it started to move.
ARE YOU A SUSHI LOVER? BEWARE THE NEW HORROR
Bahn said they unraveled the tapeworm, laying it out on paper towels on the ER floor. That’s when the monster parasite got measured. Bahn was horrified. It was as long as he is tall. But patient hadn’t done any exotic traveling to pick up such a parasite. But he did eat sushi and sashimi every day. It turns out that salmon in US waters now carry a tapeworm. So anyone who eats salmon is now at risk for this newly local parasite.
Ain’t that just a lovely thought? If you’re a sushi lover, beware!