CHEF UNDERCOOKING OF SHEPHERDS PIE KILLS ONE, FOUND GUILTY FOR TRAGIC DEATH
So Shepherds Pie is a staple in a lot of places where people speak English. Because, well, it’s a major part of English and Irish history. But speaking of England, there was a tragedy involving a chef undercooking a batch of the popular dish. And now, a court has found the man guilty for the death of a 92-year-old woman. But to be fair, 31 other people also got very sick after eating what should have been the fairly carb and protein loading dish that goes quite nicely with a Pint. It’s not a story I thought I’d ever hear of, never mind write about.
CHEF ADMITTED TO BEING RUSHED WHEN COOKING SHEPHERDS PIE, WITH DIRE CONSEQUENCES
So what happened? Well, the shepherds pie dinner was the staple at a church harvest supper at the Holy Trinity Church in Hinton-in-the-Hedges, which is a village in the English county of Northamptonshire. The dinner was at a local pub, the Crewe Arms, back in 2018. The chef who prepared the meal was the now 40 year old John Croucher. He admitted in court that he had been rushing while preparing the meal. It seems Croucher initially undercooked the meat, then left it in a refrigerator overnight, to cook it again the following day.
ONE DEAD, 31 OTHERS WITH FOOD POISONING AFTER SHEPHERDS PIE CHURCH MEAL
None of that sounds too dangerous to me, especially hearing that he cooked the Shepherds Pie again. But the judge said that he never took the temperature of the meat before serving it to the church goers at the Pub. But the evidence of serious food poisoning is hard to ignore. The elderly woman who died, Elizabeth Neuman, suffered a gastrointestinal hemorrhage from the powerful vomiting she suffered. And 31 of the 34 other people there also had serious food poisoning. And the 3 who didn’t get sick? Vegetarians, of course, who didn’t have any of the Shepherd’s Pie.
Croucher faces 4 months in jail and a year’s ban from working as a chef. Food for thought, cook your meat properly before you eat it!