SOMEHOW, KIDS AT ALASKA SUMMER SCHOOL DRANK FLOOR SEALANT INSTEAD OF MILK FOR BREAKFAST?
I never had to go to summer school when I was a kid. But I do remember that I very clearly never wanted to have to. It seemed like a drag, and there was a sense of shame attached to those who had to go. But those are pretty low social and personal risks. But what about drinking poison by accident? Because that’s exactly what happened to the kids who attend Glacier Valley Elementary School in Juneau, Alaska. Somehow, the school gave them glasses of floor sealant to drink instead of milk at breakfast.
THIS WOULD BE INTERNATIONAL NEWS IF NYC KIDS DRANK FLOOR SEALANT FOR BREAKFAST
Appalling, right? Just imagine if this happened in any other state in America. This would be headline news that would go viral everywhere, creating outrage and concern among millions and millions of Americans. But Alaska? Crickets on the tundra, as it were. At least we know that the local school district is conducting an investigation. Somehow, the floor sealant was in large pouches that were a mistaken delivery that arrived on the same pallet as boxes of large pouches of milk. And, to make matters worse, the sealant looks just like milk and has no odor.
NO MATTER WHAT, KIDS DRINKING FLOOR SEALANT IS A HUGE CONCERN FOR PARENTS ANYWHERE
So what kind of floor sealant was this? Hillyard 341. And its data sheet says it is “expected to be a low ingestion hazard.” Well, gee. If my kid drank this I’d be pretty incensed about this, and concerned about my child no matter what any “datasheet” said. And, of course, the kids seem to be fine now. But they had stomach aches, headaches, burning in their mouths and throats…. Yeah, I’d be pretty angry about this. And concerned about health and developmental issues for years to come. Oh, and school officials didn’t tell any parents about this for hours? Good thing we barely pay any attention to Alaska…..