HAIRBALL IN STOMACH CAUSES DEADLY INFECTION IN GIRL’S STOMACH
A recently graduated High School student at only 18-years-old passed away suddenly while away at college due to an infection caused by a hairball in her stomach. The U.K resident, Jasmine Beever, from Skegness, was taken to the hospital’s emergency room via ambulance, where Doctor’s and staff attempted a risky life-saving resuscitation. She had been previously diagnosed with Rapunzel Syndrome.
INFECTED HAIRBALL CAUSED BY RAPUNZEL SYNDROME
An autopsy later revealed that Beever had peritonitis, which is a condition that causes the membrane that covers the abdominal wall to be inflamed, which is typically caused by a bacterial infection. In Beever’s specific case, it was caused by the infected hairball in her stomach, which caused an ulcer to explode this caused her organs to shut down quickly.
RAPUNZEL SYNDROME ACTUALLY A PSYCHIATRIC DISORDER, PARENTS MOURN
Patients who swallow their own hair are often diagnosed with Rapunzel syndrome, which is caused by a psychiatric disorder called trichophagia, according to the U.S. National Library of Medicine National Institutes of Health. It’s thought more females than males develop Rapunzel syndrome because their hair strands are typically longer, and long hairs are more likely to get stuck in the stomach’s layers of mucous membranes. As more hair is consumed and is unable to be digested, the hair ball grows bigger. Recent research found nearly 70% of patients with Rapunzel syndrome were females aged younger than 20.
“Jasmine was amazing,” Donna Marshall, a friend’s mother. “She was one of those kids where she would make a sad face in the room smile. She was so bubbly.” Marshall called the teen’s death a shock. Marshall’s daughter, a longtime friend of the teen, set up a Just Giving page for donations to help the family cover medical expenses. “We are extremely upset but we want to thank everybody for all they have done for the family,” Beever’s parents said