BOTLEG LIQUOR ALCOHOL POISONING KILLS OVER 150 IN INDIA
So this is only slightly scary. The largest mass alcohol poisoning in India in years has killed more than 150 people in the remote northeast region of India. Laborers there work very hard picking tea leaves on local plantations. So when they kick back and relax, they like to have some booze to unwind. But many of them can’t afford real, name brand alcohol. So they regularly drink bootleg liquor. But when the liquor isn’t made right, it can prove to be deadly. That’s how more than 150 people died from alcohol poisoning. More than 200 others ended up in the hospital as well. Many were in critical condition.
Read More: Why Oh Why Does Sugary Booze Give Hangovers?
THIS IS A CHRONIC PROBLEM IN INDIA, SECOND MASS BOOTLEG POISONING IN JUST TWO WEEKS
But this is the second mass alcohol poisoning in India in just a two week period. There were roughly 100 fatalities from alcohol poisoning earlier last month in a neighboring state, Uttar Pradesh. Survivors of that poisoning said the booze had a milky color and smelled like diesel. So for all you readers out there, if it smells like diesel, never ever drink it. So of course this bootleg liquor is against the law in India. But it’s so popular it seems to be everywhere. Amazingly, it’s also called hooch there! So I have to admit my grandfather drank hooch. But that was here in the US’s southern states. But in India they make hooch that’s like beer and wine. Bootleggers make it into a moonshine as well.
THIS HOOCH WAS LACED WITH METHYL ALCOHOL, AKA AN INDUSTRIAL STRENGTH SOLVENT
So this latest tragedy happened in Assam state’s Golaghat and Jorhat districts. That’s where authorities tracked down the deadly hooch. The bootleggers laced it with methyl alcohol! You might remember from high school chemistry as methanol or wood alcohol. But you can use that shit as fuel or an industrial strength solvent. You don’t drink it and this is why. It pretty much devastates your nervous system. So don’t drink hooch. Otherwise you can die from heart failure, insane stomach agony, blindness and vomiting.